Human Resources Coordinator
- Full Time
Requisition ID: req6857
Job Title: Human Resources Coordinator
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
The Human Resources Lead is responsible for providing strategic leadership for the HR function for over 2000 staff and incentive workers across the Nigeria Country Program. The HR Lead will manage the HR team to ensure efficient and high quality staff recruitment, contracts management, orientation, learning and development, performance management, compensation and benefits, policy and labor law compliance, employee engagement and staff care. The position acts as an HR advisor to the Senior Management Team (SMT). The HR Director reports to the Deputy Director of Operations, Nigeria and the Regional HR Director, of West Africa and is a member of the SMT.
The HR Lead will adapt and implement Global HR initiatives and practices and serve as an advisor to maximize staffing resources and performance, promote a positive organizational culture, minimize risk and ensure economy and efficiency of HR processes and procedures in the service of supporting IRC programs.
Strategic HR Leadership and Management
- Devise and deliver a planned HR approach to attracting, developing, inspiring and retaining the right people, with the right skills to achieve high-quality programmatic outcomes in line with Strategic Action Plans (SAPs).
- As a member of the SMT, determine workforce needs, identify human resource and competency gaps, and devise a development and workforce plan to facilitate nationalization of roles and staff retention.
- Actively participate in proposal design and grants opening and review meetings (GRMs, GOMs) specifically advising on organizational structure, position scoping, demographic/staffing analysis and other inputs critical to ensuring a strong HR foundation to support program quality.
- Lead a collaborative approach to employee engagement, gender equality and staff care strategy and supporting initiatives, drawing on country, regional and HQ inputs and resources.
- Conduct monthly and quarterly strategic HR metrics and analysis to inform SMT and Regional HR decision-making; lead on country program inputs to global HR scorecards and action plans.
- Continually assess and refine recruitment tactics; Develop candidate rosters, actively network and employ innovative, creative recruiting methods to attract and hire the best talent. Proactively position IRC as an Employer Brand of Choice in the country.
- Review and approve job position requests, job descriptions and make recommendations, ensuring accuracy and consistency.
- Deliver international HR management, including policy, process and employee relations management, with support from Regional HR Director as needed.
- Lead the performance management process with guidance from regional and HQ HR. Create a plan to manage annual and mid-year Performance Check-Ins, conduct training on goal-setting, utilize budgets to organize development activities and work one-on-one with managers and employees to create country wide development plans. Through HR initiatives and actions, support a culture of continuous feedback.
- Participate in budget preparation and provide strategic compensation analysis to drive nationalization and ability to attract high-quality talent. Define and review salary structure, coordinate annual compensation review process and compensation adjustments, consulting with HQ compensation team to align with best practices.
- Manage national benefit plans, communicate updates and conduct information campaigns for national and international staff. Consult with HQ benefits team to align with IRC best practices.
- Devise staff care action plans that elevate morale and support the well-being of staff; create emergency staff care interventions. Consult with Regional HR Director and Global Duty of Care Director to align with IRC best practices.
- Oversee HR administration and ensure 100% compliance with current labor laws; consult and partner with local counsel as needed.
- Lead all employee relations with professional grace with the aim of empowering employees and supervisors to with the tools and resources necessary to resolve conflicts with mutual respect. Act as impartial mediator when necessary. Escalate code of conduct issues, lead or co-lead employee relations investigations and ensure issues are brought to resolution with appropriate follow-up carried out. Partner with and seek counsel from Ethics and Compliance Unit (ECU) as needed.
- Advise supervisors in determining appropriate, consistent and judicious disciplinary measures in line with local labor law and global policy.
- Manage any lay-offs or reorganizations in partnership with SMT, supervisors and regional HR to with an emphasis on compliance, due diligence, communications and staff care.
- Lead exit management to ensure seamless and positive transition for all departing employees.
Staff Performance Management and Development
- Serve as a model of supervisory excellence; supervise and mentor direct-report HR staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting/refining performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and leading documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Provide constructive feedback and counsel on career paths and professional development for HR team and IRC staff; foster a culture of continuous learning opportunities.
- Support senior staff to continue to pursue nationalization of senior and management positions.
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being. Model and support healthy work-life balance practices.
- Communicate and encourage active practice of the principles of the “IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct” throughout the country program.
- Maintain a healthy and empowering office environment that encourages open, honest and productive communication among IRC staff by delivering employee engagement and communication action plans.
- Maintain and leverage open communications and partnership on projects and shared goals with other HR Leads at the country level, regional HR and HR HQ levels.
- Provide direct support and advise the CD and SMT on staff communications to ensure clear, consistent, timely and transparent communication on matters impacting staff.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s university degree in HR management, International Relations or Development, MBA, Law or related field is preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive experience as an HR generalist, including recruitment, performance management, complex employee relations, compensation, training and development and HR Administration.
- Minimum 5 years successful staff management experience
- At least 2 years of experience with an international organization or international experience.
- Strategic leadership experience managing an HR function for large budget programs in the INGO sector is strongly preferred.
- Remote management experience strongly preferred.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- A commitment to IRC’s mission and humanitarian principles.
- Receptive to building and maintaining positive relationships with people from all backgrounds, genders, cultures and viewpoints.
- Resourceful in figuring out how to get things done, seeking opportunities to learn and grow, contributing creative and innovative ideas and serving as a change champion.
- Resilient and able to thrive in a fast-paced, quickly changing environment with a sense of urgency and an ability to deliver results under pressure.
- Results-oriented approach to planning and prioritizing HR activities.
- Demonstrated commitment to pursue work/life balance for self and others.
- Proven track-record of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to manage complex HR situations diplomatically and to effective resolution.
- Highly collaborative and consultative approach.
- Top-tier written, presentation and verbal communication skills; ability to convey information effectively and solid experience providing training and staff development in English
- Excellent management, interpersonal, consultative and negotiation skills and a demonstrated ability to promote harmonious teamwork, in a cross cultural context.
- Very strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint is required.
- Analytical ability in creating effective HR solutions while adhering to labor laws;
- English language is required;
- Travel: 60% of time spent in Maiduguri office, 30% visiting other Field Offices. International travel for regional conferences, workshops, trainings 2-4 times per year.